Thursday, January 5, 2017

A Break from the Ordinary

Christmas break has been nice. I've actually had a few days that I could sleep in and even wear sweats! I've decided I love sweats. I hardly ever wear them because I hardly ever have days when I can just stay home. Yes, break has been nice. And will continue to be nice for the next few days. Then I start back into real life next week. Oh well. I like real life, too.

There are some other reasons  - besides getting to wear sweats - that I like break. I have kept myself quite busy with sewing, and I recently opened up two new Etsy shops. I had opened one before on which I listed every random thing I sewed, but now I have two much more specialized shops. One of them is for my Pet Palz. I have had fun designing a few new ones. I think turned out rather cute:


The second Etsy shop came about through the inspiration of my sewing student and her mom. One day, during a sewing lesson, my student took out a book full of craft and sewing ideas that I had received as a gift a while ago. She found a picture of some cute, crocheted mushrooms and immediately decided what her next sewing project would be.

That night, I was trying to think of what I could give my aunt for Christmas. She is a very creative lady, always crafting things, so I wanted to make something fun and unique for her. Why not mushrooms?? I got to work the next morning figuring out exactly how to make them. I knew I wanted to use fabric, rather than crocheting them. I found some short wooden pegs in one of my drawers (I "discover" things all the time in those drawers!) and decided to cover them with fabric and use them as stems for the mushrooms. Here is what I came up with:

I totally fell in love with them! I had to make more! At this point, I was just thinking of them as decorations, but when my student's mom saw them, she asked if they were pincushions. Why not? It was a brilliant idea! So I made more. When I ran out of the wooden pegs, I bought some little wooden spools at Hobby Lobby. They were a better value than the pegs, and they ended up looking better, too.


My mushroom garden is growing!


So break hasn't exactly been break in the way most people think of it, but I have enjoyed this detour from the ordinary. I even got to teach my sewing student make a stuffed bear - the first one either of us had ever made! It turned out so cute, don't you think?



I hope your new year is off to a good start! Be sure to check out my new shops (just click on the pictures below) and spread the word to anyone who might be interested in what I have for sale!



No comments:

Post a Comment