Sunday, June 5, 2016

Of Pinterest and Hamster Wheels

I know, I talk about Pinterest a lot on here! It really is one of my greatest sources of inspiration. For me, it's not just an "I wish I had that", but more of an "I'm gonna make that!" thing. A little while ago I mentioned that I loved these tulle skirts and wanted to make one for myself.


I started right away with some pink sheer I had, then realized you have to use tulle or some kind of netting - fabric that doesn't need a hem. So, I went shopping and found some flowy light blue netting that was just the right thing.

A few tips about making these skirts: First of all, don't gather the lining. I tried gathering the lining and the tulle together and it was too bulky at the waist. I also tried making the tulle one big rectangle, but that was too bulky as well. You don't want a lot of fabric at the waist, as it tends to puff out. Basically you want your tulle pieces to look like a very large a-line skirt, or a large, curved trapezoid, if that makes sense. The whole idea is to have lots of tulle towards the bottom of the skirt for that full look, but not too much at the top. I ended up doing two layers of tulle - one the same size as the lining, and one a lot wider for the overlay.


I LOVE it!!! Especially paired with the jean shirt I altered a few weeks ago. Making new clothes is so much fun! I think I will be making more of these skirts in the future. Next time, I will try making the lining less full and the tulle more full - maybe even a full circle. That would give it even more of the 'Pinterest skirt' look.

I am pretty swamped with sewing projects right now, but I have a lot more "I want to make this" pins on my clothing boards. I'm working through them, slowly but surely! Of course, I am also adding to them, sometimes not so slowly...it's like a hamster wheel. But it's an exciting hamster wheel. That's a very bad analogy, but oh well. It's the best I can do. I'll just keep running!




No comments:

Post a Comment