Sunday, April 17, 2016

What Else is New?

On Sundays, I don't do any business sewing. It's my day of worship and fellowship and rest. This, however, does not mean I don't sew at all on Sundays. I actually have done a lot of Sunday evening sewing...making things for myself! When I get really busy (which happens pretty often), Sunday evening is about the only time I have to make things for myself.

A few posts and several weeks ago, I mentioned that I was going to make myself a dress somewhat like these:


























Last Sunday evening, I finished it, and today, I wore it!


I was glad it turned out so well, especially because when I first sewed the pieces together and tried it on, it didn't look very impressive at all! It was too big and the wrong length and the shoulders sloped too sharply so they stuck up at the neckline. What a mess! Fortunately, a few alterations made a big difference!

The sleeves were kind of fun to make. I actually put the gathers in because I didn't have a large enough piece of fabric left to cut out the sleeves in one piece, so I ended up cutting them out in three pieces, The gathers do a good job of hiding the seams!


Another thing I have been working on is preparing things to sell at an event at the end of April. I reserved a booth, and I want to be able to fill it! I made two of these bright, colorful dresses. Fabric like this is fun to sew!


I call it the cake dress, especially because it starts out looking like this:


Other than these and various other sewing projects, I have been making additions to my fabric collection - hence, the title of this post. When am I not buying fabric? The other day I hit the jackpot and came home with this pile:


The blue and pink cotton prints in the middle are over a yard, maybe even two, and look like they came straight from the fabric store (yes, I did get them at a thrift store). The piece on the bottom is very large, too, and covered in bright pink and orange flowers over a foot in diameter. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet, but I will eventually come up with something grand! 

Tonight, I cut out a flyaway from some brown knit fabric that I got on yet another 'check the thrift store for fabric' trip. I don't think I'll get around to sewing it yet, though. I felt more like posting this evening than sewing. Now that is new!

No comments:

Post a Comment