Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Accessorizing

This is yet another post about my masquerade ball outfit. I hope you aren't getting bored! I promise this is the last one. I will try to keep the words few and the pictures many.

I made lots of accessories for my dress. The ideas just kept coming! The most important thing, of course, was my mask. I bought a form at Hobby Lobby to decorate, but found it so uncomfortable that I ended up just using it as a pattern.


Template made with multiple layers of paper and Mod Podge.


Decorative overlay: before and after decorating. I edged it with the sparkly netting from the dress, and sewed seed beads around each eye hole.


I made a twisted swirl using wire, covered it with green fabric, and sewed it onto the mask.


Then I added flowers:


All that was left was to glue the overlay to the template and add some elastic.



And done!


Next, we have the fan. I had an old fan that was covered in paper. I took the paper off, glued on some fabric, and stuck it back onto the wooden spikes.




Then I decorated it with flowers, a swirled vine, and seed beads.


The third thing I made was a pair of barefoot sandals. I had seen several pictures of them on Pinterest, but they were mostly lace ones and weren't exactly what I was wanting. So I put my own twist on them! Unfortunately I don't have any in-process pics (not sure why), but here are a some of the finished product.


These may have been my favorite part of the whole outfit!

Photo credit: Melissa Niednagel

And last but not least, I made my own jewelry. I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, since I haven't made much jewelry in the past and I wanted it to look professional. I started out with this flower cluster and these beads from Hobby Lobby.


The beads could easily be turned into earrings, but the flowers needed more work. My dad cut the leaves and little roses off so I could have more to work with, and I painted both the earring beads and flower pieces with nail polish to make them match the dress.



I used three strands of thick gold wire for the necklace, and lots of thin gold wire to secure each piece onto it. I filled in the middle of the large rose with a rhinestone bead.


To fasten it, I made a short chain of wire loops on one end and a hook on the other.




Yes, everything was a lot of work! Yes, I went kind of overboard. But it was so worth it!!! I really enjoyed spending hours creating and designing and trying new things, and I learned a lot. I'll definitely be wearing this dress - and all of its accessories - again!

 Photo credit: Patti Royer

Photo credit: Melissa Niednagel

No comments:

Post a Comment