Saturday, May 2, 2015

Trying Something New

I have been sewing for years, but there is so much I haven't even tried yet! Sometimes someone asks me to do something I have never done before. Some of these projects can be very challenging, like the swimsuit I custom made once (that was probably the most stressful project I have ever taken on!!), but some of them are delightfully simple.

When a friend asked me to alter a jacket for her, I was a little apprehensive. Tailoring a jacket sounded complicated. I was surprised to find that it wasn't! If you have a jacket lying around that you haven't had the guts to try to alter, maybe this post will give you the confidence to try!

My job was to tailor the light khaki jacket to give it a nicer shape, like the brown one:


Since there were pockets on the front, I couldn't alter the side front seams, so I decided to just take it in on the sides and see if that worked. 

First, I ripped up the side seams to a little below the sleeve. 


Before I cut anything, I sewed in the side as much as I thought was needed. That way, if I needed to take in more or less, I could just rip out the seam and try again. I find this way of experimenting much more reversible than cutting. ;-)


That shape looked pretty good, so I cut the excess fabric off of both sides and ironed the edges in.




Jacket seams can be tricky, but the little bit I had left sewn at the top of the seam showed me how to put it together. One side has to be ironed towards the inside and the other towards the outside. You then overlap the fabric to hide the raw edges.




I then sewed the edges together and sewed the bottom band back on.


I laid it out to compare with the brown jacket.



Hmm...the khaki jacket needs a smoother curve going into the sleeve. I took up a few inches of the side seam just below the sleeve and took it in a little more.


Much better!



Yay! I learned something new! Jackets no longer seem as scary as they did. Maybe I will make one someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment