Saturday, March 7, 2015

Fly-Aways

Have you ever wanted to talk or write about something but you didn't know what it was called? I was stuck on that a few weeks ago. I had made one of those long, flowy, shirt-jacket things, but I had no idea what to call it (other than a long, flowy, shirt-jacket). So I went to Google and after several search word combinations, I found the official name: fly-away cardigan! 

So I can now tell you that I have made myself a couple of fly-away cardigans. I love working with knit fabric! It is so forgiving and easy to work with. I also love these versatile cardigans. The blue one below was made from a sheet! Most sheets aren't knit material, but this one was, and when I found it at a thrift store, I just knew I had to get it. 


Here is the second one I made. Isn't that the coolest fabric?? I love geometric prints! 


I wanted to do something a little different with the edges on this one, so I added a wide strip of fabric around the neck and down the front on either side. 


Then I gathered the strip with small bands of fabric, as you can see below:


I had to do a lot of tacking to make the strips lay right.


Now they are stitched in place but still have the flowy look I was going for.


I love these cardigans so much I want to make more! I recently took a shopping trip (not for cardigan fabric) and ended up finding these pretty knits for really cheap. The top one is for me, the other two will be to sell. 


Yay for new projects!! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment