Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Snow Day / Sew Day

I love snow days! Partly because snow is just so pretty, and partly because they mean I don't have to go anywhere!!! And of course, when I have all that time on my hands, I sew! Because what else would I do? So almost all day today, I was sewing. I haven't had a day like this in a long time! I really enjoyed getting to finish some projects I'd had in mind for months, and working on some new things.


One of those projects was a lamp shade. You see, we have this old lamp standing by our door, and the shade is getting cracked and tattered. I really wanted to make something to cover up all that oldness.


I got some fabric from a neighbor several months ago, and this beautiful burgundy curtain panel was among the assorted scraps and pieces. As burgundy is already the color of our living area, where the lamp stands, the curtain was a perfect fit.


I began by cutting a rectangle about twice as wide as the embroidered border and slightly longer than the circumference of the lampshade.


I then sewed the short edges together to form a circle of fabric. I also zigzag stitched the raw edge of the sheer to keep it from unraveling.


I folded the plain sheer to the inside, leaving a small bit above the embroidered line. I sewed just above the embroidered line to hold it in place. The top of the shade is a few inches smaller around than the bottom, so I gathered the seam just a bit. I tried it over the shade and adjusted my gathering until it fit just right, then tied it off.


New and improved. Yay for easy fixes!


It matches the curtains quite well, and looks so pretty when the lamp is on!



I don't have any commitments tomorrow, so it looks like another long day of sewing is in order! Although I do want to get out and have some fun in this snow. Enjoy it while it's here!

No comments:

Post a Comment