Monday, November 10, 2014

Road Tripin'

This past weekend, I went up to St. Louis with a group of church friends to attend a symphony concert at Powell Hall. Of course, we fit in some other fun things as well, like a visit to the Cathedral Basilica and supper at a fancy restaurant. We were gone for less than 24 hours, but we did so much! It was a great trip.

Of course, in typical me fashion, I was sewing clothes for the trip the week before the trip. And I finished one thing in the car on the way there. I just can't break the habit! :-P

I had been shopping around recently for a sweater dress - one of the kind that you can wear over a pair of jeans. I have wanted one for years, and I thought it would be the perfect thing for a road trip. But as things often happen when you want something now, I couldn't find one. Then I remembered that I had a large knitted shawl-like thing (I honestly don't know what to call it) that I had been intending to turn into a sweater dress for several years. I pulled it out of a bag in our storage room and got to work.


I used my sister's sweater dress as a pattern, laying it out on the shawl and cutting around it to get the general shape. I matched up the bottom of the dress with the bottom edge of the shawl on either side, so it could have the original cable edge.


I sewed the cable edging from the sides of the shawl onto the neck and armholes. There was even enough left to make a tie.





I didn't want to leave my dress plain brown, so I took out my yarn and chose some coordinating colors.


I then looked up some embroidery patterns and came up with a design. I haven't been able to do detailing work like this in a long time. It was so fun! I did several bands of embroidery around the bottom, and two rows of french knots around the neck.



With my new pair of thrift store $3 jeans, the dress made a perfect outfit! And it was really comfortable - perfect for a road trip and sight-seeing in St. Louis!







1 comment:

  1. You made that?! WOW! I love(d) it - especially the stitching accents! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete