Sunday, August 24, 2014

Just Can't Wait

In the midst of making dresses to sell and gifts for friends, I found time to do a project for myself this week. Actually, I made time. My adopted sister came back from a visit to China with some fabric for me. I couldn't just let it sit there!


Usually, I can look at a piece of fabric for a few minutes and 'see' what I should make out of it - in other words, picture what it would look good as. For some reason, though, this fabric was difficult. I stared at it, and thought, and looked at pictures of dresses online, and thought, and looked at pictures of dresses that I had saved on my computer, and thought...finally, inspiration came in this picture, which I had saved when it appeared as an add on the side of a webpage a few weeks ago. I loved the long, wide skirt and the idea of using a shirt for the top.


Well, of course I wanted to get started right away, but that meant finding a shirt that I already owned that matched the fabric and that I wouldn't mind using in a dress. It just so happened I had a brown shirt in a pile of clothes that I had decided to get rid of but hadn't actually gotten rid of yet! Here is the shirt:


...not exactly what I was envisioning for the top of my dress, so...makeover time! First, I took off all the unnecessary things, including the lacy pieces in the collar. Then, off came the sleeves. I also sewed in the sides because it was a little too big for me. Oh, and I had to sew a seam down the front of the shirt to join the slit where the buttons had been, so the front of the old shirt became the back of the new one.


I wanted to get as long and wide of a skirt as I could out of the fabric, so I measured and experimented until I came up with this:


As you can see in the picture below, I used all but those little corner pieces. And then I used most of those, too.


Here are the skirt and shirt, sewn together. Done, right? Haha. That was actually the easy part. Then I had to try it on and tweak and try it on and tweak...


...and then I used those extra little corner pieces to make a waistband and a scarf...


...and then I attached the waistband and used some of the brown lace from the shirt on it...


...and after some more tweaking, it was finally finished!!!


You may notice that there is no scarf - I actually tried the scarf a couple of different ways and then twisted it into a necklace and really liked it!


I think this is my favorite dress ever!! It's so fun to make things and have them turn out even better than you expected! Thank you so much my dear Chinese sister!!



No comments:

Post a Comment