Saturday, July 12, 2014

Ultimate Upcycling

Have you ever thought about how many ways you could use jeans? I know I have only scratched the surface, but so far, I am pretty happy with my scratching. I recently came up with the idea to cut the legs off of jeans and turn the top parts into bags. I had so much fun designing and decorating them!!

Here's how I did it. First, like I mentioned above, I cut the legs off.


Then, I sewed a rectangle of fun, colorful fabric on to make the bottom, leaving the raw jean edge visible. (Later, I threw the bag in the wash to fringe the edge.)


I made the lining from coordinating fabric (adding a pocket along the back)...


...turned it inside out, and sewed it in. As well as sewing the top edge of the lining to the jean, I also tacked the bottom corners and the middle of each long side down to secure it. The fabric I used for the lining actually used to be an apron, and the ties worked perfectly for the bag handles.


The most fun part, of course, was decorating the bag! Buttons and ric rac and patches and colorful thread...so many possibilities!





These bags make great gifts, and because this first one was such a hit, I decided to make another one for a different friend! Here it is:




Now, I am planning one for myself, since I really need a new purse!

No comments:

Post a Comment