Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Just The Way I Like It

After making bags out of pairs of jeans for a couple of friends, I decided I needed to make one for myself. I've had the same purse for forever, and it is getting quite old and worn. A cute jean purse would be the perfect replacement! I started with the jeans and shirt below:


The jeans were really cute! I found them at a thrift store after much searching. I love the flowers on the back pockets.


After many hours of work and much impatience (I was really excited about having a new purse), I came up with this:


love it!!!! The shirt I used as contrast was perfect for the western look I wanted. That's the collar on the back, cut in half and turned upside-down.


My brother filed the hooks off the back of the big silver belt clasp in the bottom left picture below and drilled holes in it so I could sew it on, and one of my sisters let me use her buttons. So you might say it was a family project. ;-)


One of the things I was most excited about was how many pockets my purse had! There were already three in the front and two in the back on the outside. I made two more on the inside, an open one on one end and a zippered one along the back. No more digging through a mess of random articles to try to find something!



To keep the bottom from sagging too much, I sandwiched plastic cross-stitching canvas between the inner and outer layers of fabric. It works really well!


I love using this thing almost every day now, and I love the fact that it was so much fun to make!


1 comment: