Thursday, May 22, 2014

Making it Modest

Sometimes, I see a formal dress I really like, but it's just not wearable! That was the case with the purple dress below:

















                                                          I loved the color and the fabric, but those spaghetti
                                straps and the low back just wouldn't do! So, I bought it                                 anyway and set to work.
















The dress came with a purple sheer sash, which I decided to turn into a draped collar. For the pattern, I used this drape-necked shirt I had made:



I made the draped collar with a double layer of sheer, but it still needed something more than straps under it. The silk under-layer of the skirt was long enough that I was able to cut a narrow band off the bottom. With this, I made a square collar and attached it to the dress.




















All that was left to do was to attach the sheer drape at the shoulders. In order to make it lay perfectly, I lightly ironed pleats along the drape.





































As you can see, I also added a white sheer sash. This is because of another slight alteration I made. The dress was a little too low under the arms, so I shortened the straps a bit. It worked well, except that the silk top of the dress now looked too short! The sash was the perfect way to disguise this fact, and it also added some contrast to the dress.


The end result was a much more modest dress - and more attractive, if I may say so. I love beautifying things!

1 comment: