Friday, April 18, 2014

A Perfect Gift

For Christmas, one of the things I asked for was random pieces of fabric - any style, material, pattern - just fabric. Weird, right? Well, I didn't think so! My sister didn't think so, either. She bought me three different pieces of fabric. One I used to make this little girl's nightgown:


One I haven't even gotten to yet. And the third piece was this beautiful red sheer with large flowers:


It took me a while to decide what to make with it. I wanted a skirt, but there wasn't quite enough material for that. Eventually, I settled on a a shirt with a drape neck and loose, 3/4 sleeves. 

For the neckline, I consulted my other sister, since she had made a couple of dresses with similar necklines. She had a paper pattern that she gave me as a guide, and I went from there. Basically you have to make the neck a lot wider and more shallow than usual.


For the shirt itself, I used one of my own shirts as a pattern. I gathered the side seams near the bottom to echo the drape of the neck.


I really love the flowy feel of the shirt, and the fabric is so elegant! What a perfect gift!


No comments:

Post a Comment