Saturday, December 28, 2013


I don't usually procrastinate when it comes to school work. I like to have my assignments done in good time, and my studying begins well before test day. Sewing, however, is an entirely different matter. I have finished so many dresses just in time for dances, made things Saturday that I wanted to wear to church on Sunday...I even finished sewing together a sweater I had knitted on the way to church one Sunday morning. Talk about procrastinating!

Sometimes it's just my "I'm so excited about this project I want to get it done and wear it as soon as possible" drive that gets me in these situations. But sometimes, I have an idea for a project and a set event that I am making it for and I leave it for the last minute. That's what I did this past weekend with the new Christmas dress I wanted to make. At least a week before, I remembered a skirt with poinsettias on it that no one in my house wore, and I decided I would make a dress out of it to wear to for my church's Christmas concert. I did cut out the pieces earlier in the week, and I had every intention of working on it quite a bit before Saturday, but things get so busy around Christmas... I ended up finishing the dress early in the evening Saturday. That's actually not too bad for me.

Here is a bit of the process:

The skirt was pleated in the front and gathered in the back, so when I cut the waistband off, I was left with a rather large square. I took out the hem as well to give myself that little bit of extra fabric.

After over an hour, I finally got all of the pieces cut out. I had to use a pattern with lots of panels, because I didn't have much to work with after I cut out the skirt for the dress. I even ended up using the pockets!

The sewing together of the top involved a lot of trial and error, as you can see in the picture below. I took in and tried on and took in some more and tried on again and tweaked and changed until it finally fit right. At first, I left one side open for a zipper, but I discovered that the fabric had enough give it could just be a pull-over dress. One less thing to do!

The next step was attaching the skirt, then sewing the hem.

I zig-zagged the armholes and just folded and sewed them under, but for the neckline, I sewed on a thin line of black ribbon to use as facing. It worked pretty well.

And that was it!

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Something New

Last week, I was browsing the internet for some fun craft ideas, and I came across this zippered pencil bag pattern. It's such a neat idea, and not very hard to make, either! I decided to try out the pattern, and the results definitely lived up to my expectations! Here are some pictures of one that I made:

This is such a versatile project! You can use an endless variety of fabrics and designs. You can also make them any size. I think I will try a small change purse and a large makeup bag next!

Thursday, December 5, 2013

For a Friend

I recently had the pleasure of making an apron for a friend in my opera class. The fun thing is, not only is she going to use it in the kitchen, but she is wearing in our opera show, as well! She is a maid in an old woman's house, so she needed an apron for her costume anyway. Here are some pictures of the making of the apron, as well as a couple from the dress rehearsal of the show.

This patchwork fabric was so fun, and I love the way the bright aqua compliments it!

I gave each of the pockets a different rim to echo the patchwork look.

My friend, by the way, has a beautiful voice!

I know I haven't been posting at all lately...sorry for that! School is almost done, and I hope to be busy with lots of fun projects that I can tell you about in the near future.