Monday, October 28, 2013

Of Tulle and Gypsies

So, I mentioned in my last post that I was going to make something with red tulle for our Reformation celebration. My church celebrates Reformation Day - the day Martin Luther nailed his 95 thesis to the church door in Wittenburg - with a meal, a short presentation about the Reformation, and a dance. For these Reformation dances, a lot of us like to dress up in costume: Renaissance, Victorian, Southern bell. I wasn't planning on doing anything really fancy this year. I just wanted to take this outfit:


and make it into a gypsy costume. I made an underskirt for the long black skirt...


...then attached four gathered rows of red tulle.


The only step that remained was to pull the skirt up (on the side or in the front - I hadn't quite decided yet) so that the red tulle was visible underneath. When I pulled the skirt up on the side, I found it was wide enough that it hung almost closed, leaving a barely noticeable sliver of red. So, I tried pulling it up across the front:


This seemed to work, but when I put the skirt on, it just didn't lay right. The fabric was too thick to drape nicely. A wardrobe flop! And now I had less than half an hour to figure out what in the world to wear! (Sewing rule 101: NEVER decide to sew something the day you need it!) In the end, I settled on the original, unaltered outfit pictured at the beginning of this post, with a few accessories.





I tied some netting around my neck like a scarf, and put a rhinestone earring in the center for some added bling. I also tied a bit of netting around my wrist in a bow, then flared out the loops to make it look more like a flower. I added the black scarf over my curls for a finishing touch. I was pleased with the final result, but I still want to make that gypsy costume sometime!

Needless to say, I learned a few things from this experience! But that's what mistakes are for, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment