Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Creative Combination

When you find some old cloth placemats, 'skirt' may not be your first thought. It probably wouldn't be mine either under normal circumstances. But when I am looking for odds and ends to re-make, 'skirt' is a very natural consideration.


I started with big placemat squares like the one you see above, cutting them in half at a bit of an angle. I then flipped one of the halves so that the wider edges were all at one end and sewed them together, leaving the fringes on the outside.


I zig-zag stitched each of the seams, and that part of the skirt was done.


I thought adding a jean band on the top would compliment the placemats well, so I found a pair of jeans and cut off the top just under the back pockets.


The fringes on all the placemat pieces made me think that the jean band needed a fringe, too. I don't know if this was a good idea, because it took forever, but in the end I think it was worth it.


I used a seam-ripper (and later a sewing machine needle) to rip out the white threads along the edge, then trimmed the fringe to the length of the blue threads.


I cut the top fringe off of the place mat section, zig-zag stitched the raw edge, and sewed it under the jean band.


And here is the placemat skirt!



1 comment: