Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Unexpected Treasures

Digging around in the linen closet can yield unexpected treasures. The other day, when I was searching for some missing place mats, I found an old table cloth - a picnic table cover, to be precise - that I just knew had potential.
 

After a little thought, I decided a long, A-line dress was just the thing! The light green color was so pretty, and the fabric had a little stretch to it, so I knew it would be comfortable. As a pattern, I used a dress I had in my closet that was pretty close to the style I wanted.


The skirt part turned out a little shorter than I wanted, so I added a band of fabric around the bottom. I just happened to have the perfect color of lace to sew into the seam, making the transition less abrupt.


The fabric is a little thick, but I was happy to find that the dress is not too hot, and it is very stain-resistant. For someone who always seems to spill things when she least wants to, this is a good thing!




1 comment:

  1. Lovely work! :)

    I don't know how you are about fine-tuning something after it is finished...or if you have a dress-form, but you may want to try adding a pleat or a dart in the skirt back. It seems to have a little extra that could be easily adjusted. :)

    Love your touch of the lace...that was a good idea. :)
    Sarah E.

    ReplyDelete