Friday, August 9, 2013

Sewing and Music

The majority of the time that I am in the basement sewing, I am alone. Of course, there are times when my sisters come down and we talk and laugh and share our one, very old sewing machine. And there are times when my brothers come down and talk or beg me to play a game with them. But much of the time, it is just me and the machine.


My mom used to say, "Silence is good!", and now that I am older, I see her point, but you can have too much of a good thing... When I don't feel like listening to silence, I put on some music. I've listened to everything from country to classical, from opera to pop. Sometimes I am in the mood for Japanese instrumental music, or my favorite British singing group. Sometimes I turn on my Youtube violin playlist, or put in a Josh Groban CD. One day, I heard Chanticleer sing something on the radio, and I loved it so much I ended up listening to them for hours that afternoon.


I've tried watching movies while I sew, but that only works if you don't really care to see what's going on in the movie, or if you don't plan on getting much sewing done. Listening to music gives me something to do without interfering with my work. It also makes things not so boring when I am down in the basement alone.



Music has always been a big part of my life. If I am not listening to it - or making it myself - it is usually playing in my head. Life would be so boring without music, and I am so thankful to God for giving us such a wonderful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment